Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Teddy Bears...

I have known...

Most women my age, with the abundant blessing of grandchildren, can relate to teddy bears like old friends.  After all, we've read stories about them, purchased them in all different sizes and colors, maybe even patched up a favorite bear that has lost an eye or a leg or lived through some such terrible trauma.

As for me, I love the little bears, no matter the color or style.  I have even collected a few over the years.  When it comes to the bears, I could tell you some stories...!

One of my favorites conjures up memories of my father, playfully nicknaming his last child, a daughter, whose beautiful christened name, Teresa, was much too formal for my father, so he nicknamed her "Teddy Bear".  He was a kid at heart and loved the playful, sweet pet name he assigned to his last baby.  Teresa played along, dutifully cooperating with her tasks as a hug-able little doll, willingly giving and receiving all the kisses and hugs that are expected from a good teddy bear.  The name stuck with her probably far longer than she would have preferred!

When my first child, Christy, was born, my sister, then eleven years old, sewed a stuffed teddy bear as a gift for her new niece, the first grandchild born into this big family.  She was little more than a child herself, but made this little funny looking bear all by herself and named it "Buttery But!" Christy played with that bear for years, until it finally fell apart at the seams. Wish we still had it today!

I love the memories those two stories bring back for me. How about you? Any stories you attach to an old doll you had as a child? What memories do you picture in your mind when you think of that toy? Amazing how something like that can bring yesterday back as if it were today!

In honor of Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear, Pooh Bear, Buttery But, and my sister, "Teddy Bear!", here's a fun video of an old classic, "Teddy Bears Picnic". I hope you enjoy it and my trip down memory lane!


No comments:

Post a Comment